Did You Know?
Fun Facts about the Santa Barbara News-Press Press Run:
- There are approximately 44,000 feet of newsprint on one roll of paper.
- A roll of newsprint weighs approximately 2,000 lbs.
- The News-Press uses about 10 rolls of newsprint for a Monday edition and 40 rolls of newsprint for a Sunday edition
- More than 50% of the newsprint used to publish the News-Press is recycled newsprint.
- Approximately 1,200 aluminum press plates are used to produce the paper each week.
- The News-Press recycles:
- Aluminum press plates
- Cardboard cores
- Waste paper
- Left over newsprint
- Our printing press is a Goss Metrocolor/Headliner offset press. Installed in 1993, it is capable of printing a maximum of 64 pages with 24 pages of process color and 16 spot color pages.
- The printing press is 39 feet high. It is capable of producing 70,000 copies of the paper per hour.
- A Sunday paper requires three separate press runs totaling approximately 5 1/2 hours long.
- An average press run requires five pressmen to operate the press equipment