UC Santa Barbara RS sophomore Phillip Jordan has been voted the Big West Men’s Tennis Player of the Week, the conference announced Wednesday. This is Jordan’s conference-leading fourth time winning the award this season.
- Jordan went 2-0 at No. 1 singles and No. 1 doubles as then-57th-ranked UC Santa Barbara blanked a pair of Big West opponents at home.
- In Friday’s 4-0 victory over UC Davis, Jordan paired with Victor Krustev to cruise past Brett Brinkman and Andras Necz, 6-1. He did not appear in singles.
- The redshirt sophomore defeated No. 75 Emmanuel Coste in straight sets, 6-1, 6-4, in Sunday’s 4-0 decision over No. 74 UC Irvine. He and Krustev rallied back from 3-0 and 5-2 deficits against Coste and Noah Zamora to tie the score at 5-5 before it went unfinished.
- The now-54th-ranked Gauchos completed the regular season a perfect 10-0 at home, and improved to 14-5 overall with wins in eight of their last nine. UCSB sits in third in The Big West standings at 3-1, with three straight victories all in shutout fashion.
- Jordan is 22-9 and now ranked No. 122 in singles. He and regular doubles partner Kai Brady are rated 88th nationally.
- Jordan leads The Big West with four weekly awards this season, with prior selections on Feb. 9, March 2 and March 9. He is the only Gaucho to be so honored in 2022.
Daniel Messinger writes about sports for UCSB.