On the heels of a contentious battle to fill a vacant seat, the Solvang City Council will hold a special meeting Tuesday to do it again.
When faced with a vacancy late last year upon the resignation of Hans Duus, the council decided against a special election and instead appointed city Board of Architectural Review member Karen Waite to fill the fifth seat for the remaining two years. (She lost the race for the seat in 2016 by fewer than 60 votes — to Mr. Duus.)
Then came the November election, which saw Councilman Ryan Toussaint beat incumbent Jim Richardson for mayor. Two new council members also were selected by voters, Robert Clarke — the top vote-getter with 725 — and Niels “Chris” Djernaes, who received 715 votes.
The seated council members are:
• Ryan Toussaint, mayor (two-year term ends December 2020)
• Robert Clarke, mayor pro tem (term ends December 2022)
• Chris Djernaes (term ends December 2022)
• Karen Waite (term ends December 2020)
With Mr. Toussaint now in the mayor’s chair, the council finds itself once again one member short.
When the three men and one woman meet in special session 6:30 p.m. Tuesday at Solvang City Hall, they will hear from a large number of applicants seeking to serve the final two years of Mr. Toussaint’s term.
Applicants had until 5 p.m. Friday to submit paperwork to City Clerk Lisa Martin’s office. Tuesday’s agenda includes a resolution to make an immediate appointment.
The applicants as presented by the city clerk’s office Friday evening are:
• David Bergsvik, retired CPA/tax executive
• Patrick Henry, property management specialist
• Joan Jamieson, land-use consultant
• Kim Jensen, retail business owner
• Daniel Johnson, CPA
• Christopher McCool, Realtor
• Michael Mendizza, business owner
• Gregory Millikan, business, real estate, tax lawyer
• Kenny “Esko” Lama, small-business owner
• Justin Rodriguez, asphalt paving contractor
• Edwin Skytt. semi retired business owner