Two juveniles were arrested Tuesday morning in connection with a violent assault that occurred last month in Goleta, authorities said.
The second round of search warrants stemming from the March 6 incident were served Tuesday morning. The incident occurred in the 5700 block of Hollister Avenue in Goleta. Sheriff’s deputies located a 14-year-old who suffered severe injuries, including lacerations to his head. The victim was transported to a local hospital for emergency care. A second victim was also attacked but suffered less severe injuries, said Raquel Zick, spokeswoman for the Santa Barbara County Sheriff’s Department.
“The suspects fled the area prior to the arrival of responding deputies. Deputies later learned that several suspects had attacked the victims with weapons including hammers, bats, pipes and a machete,” Ms. Zick said.
Just before 10 p.m. March 6, deputies were dispatched to the 4500 block of Carpinteria Avenue in Carpinteria for a report of a fight. Several male suspects, armed with a variety of weapons, attempted to assault another group of males. No injuries were reported and the suspects fled before deputies arrived, Ms. Zick said.
An investigation determined both crimes were committed by the same suspects using the same weapons. Two search warrants were served March 31 in the city of Santa Barbara and three juveniles were arrested.
All five suspects were booked at the Santa Maria Juvenile Hall on suspicion of attempted murder, attempted murder in association with a criminal street gang, conspiracy to commit attempted murder, assault with a deadly weapon, assault with force likely to cause great bodily injury and personal infliction of great bodily injury.
“The Sheriff’s Office would like to remind the public we serve that during this challenging time, we remain steadfast and diligent in seeking out and bringing to justice criminal offenders,” Ms. Zick said.